Health Care, Entrepreneurs, & Integration

For the better part of the last 20 years, I’ve worked in some area or another of the U.S. health care system – an industry in dire need of some changes.

I am regularly reminded of the challenges this country faces related to health care – high costs, coverage for the uninsured, reducing waste and fraud, transparency and quality – the list goes on and on.

Luckily, there are wonderful health care startups and entrepreneurs who are doing their best to find solutions, disrupt the system [insert your favorite buzz word here].  I’ve met more than a few of them and I’m regularly inspired and encouraged.

But then reality sets in and I ask the question that sometimes keeps me up at night…

How is it all integrated?

Without integration and coordination, its like we’re all trying to move a giant boulder…but we’re pushing from different sides and not accomplishing much.

I have attended “demo days” for Rock Health, Healthbox, and recently TiE ScaleUp – all in the Boston area.  The health care startups always have great concepts and ideas and some have since thrived.

But how much has the overall system been improved or impacted?

Some would argue that the silos in health care drive a lot of the challenges that exist in health care.  I tend to agree, but I’m not sure how much of it is attributed to the lack of integration. My sense is a lot of problems and challenges could be solved if the integration and coordination puzzle was solved.

Systems that are tied more closely together can better understand what each area is doing and, as a result, align business practices for the best possible outcome for the patient and/or member.

To revisit my previous example – push the boulder in the same spot in the same direction at the same time – create a system that truly works.

This poses a challenge to all the clever entrepreneurs and startupy folks out there – how to create a health care PLATFORM that allows integration across ALL aspects of the health care continuum – insurance, care delivery, electronic medical records, data integration, medication adherence, wellness and well-being, predictive analytics…the list goes on and on.

To the entrepreneurs out there who have a fire in their belly related to the health care space: the gauntlet has been thrown down. Let’s see whatcha got…

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Health Care, Entrepreneurs, & Integration

  1. Absolutely true. Instead of thinking about another ‘product’, which has the potential to create additional complexity for the marketplace, let’s look to create a solution. Perhaps not as financially rewarding – but certainly of inestimable value.
    Perhaps even more importantly, we can’t forget about the patient. With socioeconomic factors and lifestyle behaviors contributing 70% to an individual’s health status (www.countyhealthrankings.org), investments in the remaining 30% are effectively downstream from more substantial issues. Perhaps it’s a good time to move upstream…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s